Master The Seven Diet “Dos”
By Denise Austin, author of “Side Effect: Skinny” (Bird Street Books)
World-renowned health and fitness guru Denise Austin offers her top seven tips for setting yourself up for diet success. Mastering these diet strategies will have you dropping your old habits and beginning new and healthy ones effectively:
1. Eat Until You’re Satisfied. Believe it or not, if you want to lose weight, it is important to eat. Skipping meals can leave you feeling weak and hungry, which leads straight to overeating. Eat when you need to, but make sure you limit yourself to nutritious, strength-building foods.
2. Include a Variety of Foods. You’ve heard of diets that focus on one food, or that exclude whole categories of food from your life. Go for balance instead. Sweets, pasta, and breads have a place in your eating plan. The key is moderation. Make healthy foods the foundation of your meals.
3. Quench Your Thirst. Water helps you burn calories, boosts your metabolism, and fills you up. How’s that for multitasking? Bottoms up, ladies.
4. Concentrate on Your Health. Diet pills, crash dieting, and products that promise instant results are never a good idea. A slow, steady, balanced weight-loss plan like mine is the most effective and the safest. You’ll feel great, and you’ll protect your health too.
5. Make it a Team Effort. Staying motivated is so imperative. Find an exercise buddy in your neighborhood or at your office, ask a friend or family member to help you stay on track, or take advantage of my amazing online community.
6. Get Moving. If you’re already eating healthy, exercise can tone muscle and give you lots of energy. Even just a few minutes a day can make a huge difference. Give it a try.
7. Put YOU at the Top of your Daily To-Do List. Shift your priorities so that you can make time for yourself, without feeling guilty.
About the Author:
Known as “America’s favorite fitness expert,” Denise Austin has sold over 24 million exercise videos and authored more than 12 books on health and fitness. As a worldwide fitness phenomenon, she has created a loyal audience with her two major television shows: Getting Fit, which ran for 10 years on ESPN and continued under the new name Denise Austin’s Daily Workout, and Fit & Lite, both on Lifetime.
Denise served two terms on the President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports. She has testified before the U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions, helped launch the new food guidance system of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and was recently honored by Woman’s Day magazine and the American Heart Association with the Red Dress Award for her contributions to heart health. Married for over 25 years to Jeff Austin, they have two teenage daughters, Kelly and Katie.
Side Effect: Skinny is available for purchase at www.thebooknook.com